can we taco 'bout our love of this mexican miracle of a meal? i mean, we can’t help but go a little loco with the fitlosophyzed mex-inspired recipes, be it tantalizing (street) tacos or magnificent (skinny) margaritas. now we're taking our taco-love to a whole new level, because this food fiesta is far too bueno to only enjoy on taco tuesday or cinco de mayo. come on, who doesn’t dream of tacos for breakfast, lunch + dinner?? that’s why we came up with tres (that's "3" for all us gringos) terrific taco recipes that’ll definitely have you saying sí sí sí! buen provecho, amigos.
[chimichurri egg taco] makes 1 taco
breakfast tacos filled with scrambled egg are so last year. in an unexpected twist, the taco shell for this bad boy is an egg, upping your protein + cutting early-morning carbs. bonus: when you finally get to bite into it, the yolk oozes like a delicious cheese sauce sent straight from taco heaven.
1 tbsp coconut oil
sea salt + pepper
handful baby arugula
¼ of an avocado
couple spoonfuls carrot-top chimichurri (or any salsa that you prefer)
cilantro for garnish (optional)
- melt the coconut oil in a skillet over medium heat, then add 2 eggs, one right next to the other so they fuse together. if necessary to form a round, tortilla-like shape, use a spatula to spread the egg white to fill in any spots. cook until the edges are golden + crispy + the whites are fully set.
- remove from skillet, season with sea salt + pepper, then top with arugula, avocado, chimichurri + cilantro, fold up like a taco + enjoy!
[protein-style chicken taco with lime crema] makes 6 tacos
again, getting creative with your taco shell ups your nutrients + lowers your carb intake. a lime crema drizzle takes it over the top with flavor.
6 chicken thighs
avocado oil spray
3 tbsp nutritional yeast
2 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp onion powder
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp sea salt
pepper to taste
¾ cup plain greek yogurt
juice of 2 limes
12 bibb lettuce leaves
- mix together nutritional yeast, garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, sea salt + pepper, then season chicken thighs with the mixture + spray with avocado oil.
- arrange chicken on a baking sheet + bake at 425 degrees for about 20 minutes, until cooked through. let cool + dice.
- to make the crema, mix the yogurt, lime juice + sea salt until fully combined.
- arrange lettuce leaves 2 per taco, one on top of the other, then fill each lettuce “shell” with chicken + top with salsa, crema + cilantro.
[dessert taco with banana cream drizzle] makes 1 taco
no added sugar makes this dessert taco one sweet ending to any fiesta. fresh berries, a sprinkling of cinnamon + vanilla-kissed banana cream sweeten without refined sugar.
3 tbsp coconut oil
1 flour tortilla (we used grain-free brand Siete to keep it paleo)
1 tsp cinnamon
3 strawberries, hulled + chopped
¼ cup blueberries
4 mint leaves, minced into a chiffonade
1 small banana
¼ cup coconut cream
1 tsp vanilla extract
- melt coconut oil in a skillet over medium heat, then sprinkle tortilla on both sides with cinnamon + add to the skillet. cook a minute or so on the first side, then flip + cook another minute or so on the other side, using tongs to bend it into a taco shell shape.
- to make the banana cream, process banana, coconut cream + vanilla in a mini food processor until smooth.
- mix berries + mint, then spoon into taco shell + drizzle with banana cream.