not everyone drinks - whether they’re brave enough to tackle whole30 during the holiday season, or want to save their sweets allotment for Christmas cookies, or just prefer to abstain, some of us still want a sparkling sip in-hand when the ball drops. that’s why we felt it our duty to come up with three suitable, albeit slightly less buzzy, alternatives. or tying one on with guests who like their drinks a wee bit stronger? just add a shot! here are 3 festive mocktails that’ll get you through new year’s eve with a drink in your hand + your health goals intact.
[cucumber faux-jito] serves 1
this is our chief's go-to when embarking on whole30 while still socializing with a sip in-hand. light + refreshing, this one has all the flavor of a traditional mojito, sans liquor. wanna spike it? add a shot of coconut rum! (tip: take it to-go in our handy-dandy fitfuser water bottle!)
6 thin cucumber slices, plus more for garnish
small handful fresh mint (about 6-8 leaves), plus more for garnish
¼ cup fresh lime juice
1 tsp maple syrup
½ cup lime la croix sparkling water
1 slice of lime for garnish
optional: 1 oz coconut rum
- muddle the cucumber + mint leaves in the bottom of your glass, then add lime juice + maple syrup, give it a stir + fill the glass with ice.
- top it off with sparkling water + garnish with a slice of lime or cucumber + more mint.
[mexican hot chocolate] serves 1
rich + warm, this cup o’ cocoa ups the ante with a dash of cinnamon + cayenne. want a shot to up the olé factor? just add white tequila.
1 cup unsweetened almond milk
¼ cup chopped dark chocolate
2 tsp maple syrup
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp cinnamon, plus extra for garnish
pinch of cayenne pepper
whipped coconut cream for garnish
optional: 1 oz tequila
- heat the almond milk until just before simmering, then mix in dark chocolate, whisking until completely melted + incorporated. whisk in maple syrup, vanilla, cinnamon + cayenne.
- top with whipped coconut cream + a sprinkle of cinnamon. you can even add a cinnamon stick if you’re feelin’ fancy.
[pomegranate fizz] serves 1
fruity + fizzy, this aptly named apertif gives you that sweet fix without all the added sugars you find in so many mixed drinks. want a little somethin’ sassy? add a shot of vodka.
½ cup freshly squeezed orange juice
¼ cup pomegranate juice
½ cup sparkling water
pomegranate seeds for garnish
orange peel for garnish
optional: 1 oz vodka
- pour the orange juice into a glass, fill with ice, then top with sparkling water + finish it off with pomegranate juice.
- garnish with pomegranate seeds + a thin curl of orange peel.
thirsty for more? check out these 12 health(ier) holiday sips!
cheers to a fab + festive new years, fitbookers...
your fitlosophy fam