every year on thanksgiving, the turkey gets all the glory, the top billing, the starring role, while the cranberry sauce + green bean casserole get no love. until now. because thanksgiving side dishes are anything but ho-hum when you integrate pep-in-your-step ingredients like espresso or vino for a little extra oomph. try these 3 spiked sides to add a sassy little shot to your turkey trot! now that’s something we can all be thankful for.
[hasselback sweet potatoes with whipped bourbon coconut cream]
2 sweet potatoes
2 tbsp coconut oil
¼ cup chilled coconut cream
1 tsp bourbon
1 tsp maple syrup
dash of cinnamon
- place the sweet potato on a cutting board, then put a chopstick on each side, lengthwise. make widthwise cuts across, about ½ cm between each cut, the entire length of the potato - being careful not to cut all the way through (which the chopsticks should prevent you from doing).
- place on a baking sheet + drizzle with coconut oil. bake at 400 for about an hour, or until cooked through.
- to make the whipped cream: whip all ingredients together.
- spoon over the potatoes, sprinkle with a little bit more cinnamon + serve.
[white wine-infused gravy]
¼ cup turkey drippings
1 ½ cups turkey or chicken broth
½ cup white wine
1 tbsp cassava flour
1 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp garlic powder
sea salt to taste
- in a saucepan, combine the turkey drippings, broth + wine + bring to a boil.
- put the cassava flour in a small bowl + stir in enough cold water to make it a heavy cream consistency. slowly stir into the simmering broth. it will thicken immediately.
- stir in the seasonings + serve.
[espresso chocolate mousse]
1 avocado, pitted + peeled
¼ cup dark chocolate, melted + slightly cooled
2 tbsp coconut milk
1 tbsp raw cacao powder
2 tsp maple syrup
2 tsp espresso powder
fresh raspberries for topping (optional)
- blend everything but the berries in a small food processor until smooth, then top with berries to serve.