go fitbook, it’s ya birthday, we’re gonna parrrrrty like it’s ya birthday! and just like that, fitbook turns 8! our chief fitlosopher is knee-deep in her first round of #whole30 right now, which isn't exactly ideal for celebrating a big birthday... but what would a birthday be without cake?? (or mini cupcakes in this case.)
as the in-house fitlosophy foodie, i (katy) created these healthified, pint-sized cupcakes to surprise our chief fitlosopher! while not technically "whole30-approved", they’re about as close as you can get. in fact they are paleo, so they’re a heck of a lot better than your average cuppycake! no refined-sugar, gluten-free + dairy-free, these little darlins are not only pretty darn virtuous on the cake scale, they’re also packin’ healthy fats + antioxidant-loaded, heart-healthy dark chocolate, making this one delicious AND nutritious celebration!
[paleo banana-chocolate mini cupcakes]
makes 24 pint-sized lil' minis
- 3 ripe bananas
- 3 tbsp coconut sugar
- 3 pasture-raised eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla-bean paste
- ¼ cup buttery coconut oil (melted)
- 1 ½ cups fine almond flour
- ¼ cup tapioca flour
- ¼ cup unsweetened finely shredded coconut
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp fine sea salt
- 1 cup paleo (dairy-free) dark chocolate chips
- ¼ cup buttery coconut oil
- ¼ cup coconut milk
- 2 tsp vanilla-bean paste
- ¼ tsp fine sea salt
- preheat oven to 350 degrees + line a mini muffin tin with 24 mini muffin liners.
- in a medium mixing bowl, whisk together almond flour + tapioca flour + coconut + cinnamon + salt.
- in a blender, blend together bananas + sugar + eggs + vanilla-bean paste + coconut oil until smooth. add in the flour + blend further, just until fully incorporated.
- fill each of the muffin liners about ¾ of the way + bake for about 18-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. let cool completely before frosting.
- to make the frosting, in a small saucepan over medium-low heat, stir together chocolate chips + coconut oil until fully melted. stir in coconut milk + vanilla-bean paste + salt. let cool for several minutes, then stick the saucepan in the fridge to thicken, stirring every 5 minutes or so, until desired consistency is reached.
- frost your heart out!
we told you there'd be (healthy) cake for fitbook's 8th birthday! wanna know what else? we're doing a BIG giveaway over on instagram! click here to go comment on our #fitbookturns8 giveaway post: all you have to enter is comment on the post with a goal you have + tag 8 friends! we're giving away EIGHT $50 giftcards to shop 'til you drop. so hustle up, cupcake! [winners announced monday]
finally: what's a birthday without a gift? valid through 07.25.16, enter promo code FITBOOKTURNS8 to save $8 on all orders @ getfitbook.com.
oh fitbook, you're so spoiled: a birthday blog, pint-sized paleo cupcakes, a giveaway + gifts! all for you.
i guess you CAN have your cake and eat it too!