lucky you! tomorrow is st. patrick's day and we're goin' green! we know, we know, green is not really our color (we’re suckers for that cherry red!), but when the absence of green will get you pinched + leave you down on your luck, we make an exception. besides, it’s a great excuse to load up your plate with greens alllllll day + take full advantage of all those immune-boosting phytonutrients green foods are typically packin’. here are three of our faves to keep you lean + green all day long:
1 piece sourdough bread (or whatever bread floats your boat)
½ avocado, pitted + peeled
¼ tsp ground cumin
sea salt + crushed red pepper to taste
- toast bread to desired toastiness.
- mash avocado with a fork + mix in cumin, salt + crushed red pepper.
- spread avocado on top of toast + get to munchin’!
[nacho kale chips]
1 small bunch lacinato kale, rinsed, ribbed + torn into chip-sized pieces
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tbsp nutritional yeast powder
2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp chili powder
½ tsp sea salt
- preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- in a large bowl, toss kale + olive oil, making sure everything is coated.
- combine all the seasonings in a small bowl + sprinkle over the kale, tossing everything to coat evenly.
- spread kale evenly in a single layer on two baking sheets lined with parchment paper.
- bake for 12 minutes, turn the pans, then bake another 10-12 minutes, depending on your oven. you want everything to be slightly crisp, but not burned.
- remove from the oven and let cool for a couple minutes.
- get your nacho on.
[mint chocolate chip green smoothie]
1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
¼ tsp peppermint extract
2 tbsp raw cacao nibs + more for garnish
3 handfuls baby spinach
1 frozen banana, in chunks
- combine everything in the blender (liquids first, then softer solids, then frozens on top) + blend until smooth, about 90 seconds or so, depending on your blender.
- pour into a glass + garnish with more cacao nibs (+ a mint leaf if you’re feelin’ fancy!).
we absolutely can't get enough of this mint chocolate chip smoothie, so we're takin' it to go in our fitfuel mixer! what’s your favorite way to green up your plate? comment + let us know!
happy st. patrick’s day!
the fitlosophy leprechauns