if you’re like us, it’s not always easy to get all your greens in. there are only so many salads you can eat in a week, amirite?? that’s why we’re always on the hunt for new ways to incorporate verdant veggies. and these five forest-hued concoctions do not disappoint. nutritious? check! delicious? check! trust us, your fellow diners will be green with envy when they snag a taste.
[greeña colada smoothie]
makes 1 smoothie
this smoothie is filled with tropical flavors + creamy, green goodness that’s so delicious, your kids won’t even complain about its grassy color.
1 cup coconut milk
1 scoop protein powder
2 handfuls baby spinach
1/2 banana, peeled
1/4 avocado, peeled + pitted
1/2 cup frozen pineapple chunks
1/3 cup frozen cauliflower
- add everything to the blender in the order it’s listed + blend until smooth.
[broccoli cheese eggs]
makes 2 servings
this warm breakfast dish tastes like broccoli cheese soup, sans cream + plus protein. does it get any better than that?
1 tbsp ghee or butter
1 cup broccoli florets, finely chopped
4 eggs, beaten
1 tsp nutritional yeast
1/2 tsp onion powder
pinch sea salt
¼ cup almond milk cream cheese
- melt ghee in a skillet over medium heat, then add broccoli, sauteing for a couple minutes to soften.
- beat nutritional yeast, onion powder + sea salt into eggs, then pour into skillet with broccoli, scrambling it all together.
- when eggs are almost cooked through, stir in the cream cheese.
[lean green protein pancake]
makes 1 baked pancake
the prep for this pancake is minimal. just toss everything in the blender, then let it bake while you go about your morning business. you’ll have a hot, hearty breakfast packed with extra nutrition in no time!
1 tbsp coconut oil or ghee for cooking
1/4 cup almond milk
1 tbsp vanilla extract
1 scoop protein powder
3 tbsp oat flour
pinch sea salt
1 small handful baby spinach
blueberries for topping
maple syrup for topping
- preheat oven to 400 degrees. add the coconut oil or ghee to a small 6” cast iron skillet + place inside the oven as it preheats.
- blend almond milk, egg, vanilla, banana, protein powder, oat flour, sea salt + spinach together in the blender until smooth.
- bake about 15 minutes, then top with blueberries + maple syrup.
[spinach pesto chicken salad]
makes 4-6 servings
this salad is bright + herby + a fantastic way to sneak greens into a protein-packed favorite. whip up a batch on sunday to have for quick lunches + dinners all week long!
2 chicken breasts
sea salt + pepper
⅓ cup pine nuts, lightly toasted in a skillet
2 garlic cloves
2 big handfuls baby spinach
1 big handful basil leaves
½ cup grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese
zest of 1 lemon
extra virgin olive oil
sea salt to taste
- place chicken breasts in a saucepan, fill with cold water to cover the chicken by about an inch + bring to a boil to poach the chicken. cook for 10-15 minutes, depending on how big the breasts are, then let cool + shred with two forks.
- while the chicken is poaching, make the pesto. toss warm pine nuts into a food processor, along with the garlic clove to mince.
- add in spinach + basil leaves, then process again until finely minced.
- add in cheese + lemon zest, then with the top on + machine running, drizzle olive oil through feeder tube on lid until pesto reaches desired consistency. add a couple pinches of sea salt to taste.
[lime avocado mousse]
makes 1-2 servings
no one will ever guess that the base of this mousse is avocado or that there’s a little sneaky spinach inside.
1 perfectly ripe avocado, peeled + pitted
1 tbsp full-fat coconut milk
1 tbsp maple syrup
juice + zest of 1 lime
½ tsp vanilla extract
a few baby spinach leaves
goin’ gaga for green right about now?
- toss everything in a high-powered blender + blend until smooth.
check out these recipes
. got a good green recipe of your own? share in the comments!