we’re not sure what we look forward to most this time of year - thanksgiving or the day after thanksgiving, when our fridges runneth over with all the yummy turkey day leftovers. some like to keep it simple, reheat + repeat the prior day’s magnificent meal, and we don’t blame them. after all, how often do we have the chance to feast on so much delicious food made with love? but there’s something to be said for reinventing your leftovers, breathing new life into that turkey + stuffing with a fresh recipe. here are 3 of our favorite ways to gobble up that thanksgiving surplus.
[open-faced stuffing omelette]
1 tbsp ghee or butter
1 packed cup baby spinach
½ cup leftover stuffing
¼ cup green olives
3 tbsp shredded mozzarella (optional)
- in a medium skillet over medium heat, melt the ghee.
- sauté the spinach until wilted, then add stuffing + olives to skillet to heat through
- beat 2 eggs well + pour evenly into skillet over stuffing mixture. cook until nearly set, then sprinkle cheese on top, if using.
- broil in the oven for a couple minutes, just until the center is cooked through.
[turkey kale salad with warm gravy vinaigrette]
1 tbsp olive oil
1 bunch lacinato kale, ribs removed + chopped fine
1 cup leftover chopped turkey
¼ cup leftover gravy
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
¼ cup kalamata olives
- in a medium skillet over medium heat, heat the olive oil.
- add turkey to the skillet to reheat, then remove from skillet + set aside.
- add gravy to the skillet to reheat, then stir in balsamic vinegar.
- toss half the gravy mixture with the kale, then top kale with turkey + drizzle the remaining gravy mixture over the top of the turkey.
- garnish with olives.
[cranberry sauce bread]
makes 1 loaf
1½ cups oat flour
½ cup maple syrup
½ cup plain kefir or yogurt
⅓ cup melted ghee or butter
1 tbsp vanilla extract
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp baking soda
½ tsp sea salt
zest of 1 orange
1 cup leftover cranberry sauce
what’s your favorite way to use up all your thanksgiving leftovers? share in the comments!
- preheat oven to 350 degrees + grease a 9x5 loaf pan.
- in the bowl of a mixer, add flour, maple syrup, kefir, egg, ghee, vanilla, cinnamon, baking soda, sea salt + orange zest, then mix until fully combined. stir in cranberry sauce.
- pour into prepared loaf pan + bake for about 50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.