treats...at the holidays. reallllll original, we know! only these are different - a departure from your average sugar-laden, overly rich, Christmas cookies + cakes. these healthier (cuter) options are perfect for giving away as gifts, sending to your kids’ school holiday parties, or enjoying in your plaid jammies by the fireplace. here are 3 of the healthier holiday treats we’re loving this year.
makes a dozen skewers
these are not only adorable, they’re probably the healthiest holiday treat you’ll enjoy all season. want no added sugar whatsoever? just ditch the ‘mallows for hatless grinches. idea: gather the kiddos to assemble grinches as a fam!
12 green grapes
1 banana, sliced into coins
12 strawberries, stems removed
12 mini marshmallows
- thread a grape onto a toothpick, followed by a banana coin, strawberry + mini marshmallow. repeat with all the fruit.
[grain-free chocolate chip blondies]
makes 16 blondies
these are about as addictive as you can possibly get, which is basically a Christmas miracle considering they’re both grain-free and lower in sugar than your typical blondie - by about half. trust us, if you make nothing else this Christmas, make these.
1 cup cashew butter
½ cup maple syrup
1 tsp vanilla extract
½ cup almond flour
2 tbsp coconut flour
pinch of sea salt
½ cup no-added-sugar dark chocolate chips
- mix cashew butter, maple syrup, egg + vanilla until fully incorporated, then stir in almond + coconut flours + sea salt. stir in chocolate chips.
- spray 8x8 baking pan with coconut oil + line with parchment paper. pour cashew butter mixture into pan.
- bake at 350 for 20 - 25 minutes.
- cut into 16 squares + enjoy!
[cherry-pistachio chocolate bites]
makes 10 bites
pistachios: good. dried cherries: good. dark chocolate: gooooooood. the sweet chocolate combined with the tangy fruit, crunchy nuts + briny sea salt? this one’s a gift worthy of three wise men.
¼ cup dark chocolate chips
¼ cup chopped dried cherries
¼ cup chopped pistachios
sea salt flakes
- melt the chocolate chips in the microwave in 30-second intervals, stirring after each interval, until melted.
- mix dried cherries + pistachios.
- dollop small spoonfuls of the melted chocolate onto a parchment-lined cookie sheet + sprinkle each with cherry mixture, topping off with sea salt.
- put the cookie sheet in the fridge for a half-hour or so, until hardened.
which of these ho-ho-holiday goodies will you be whipping up this year? share in the comments below - we'd love to know!