there's something about warmer weather. longer days, outdoor activities + opportunities galore for imbibing in a festive cocktail or two. cinco de mayo, the derby, memorial day, the 4th, pool parties galore - we could go on + on. wait, did someone say pool party?? yeah that’s right, and you know what that means: lots of hours logged in bathing suits, which means watching our sugar intake is probably a good idea. let’s be honest - yes, we all want to be our healthiest, but nothing inspires us to look our best quite like swimsuit season. that’s why we’ve rounded up some of our favorite libations and slimmed ‘em down for maximum summer appeal. not a drinker? no problemo - we've got a sparkling sipper recipe to tickle your alcohol-free fancy.
check out 2 cool cocktails + 1 mocktail we’ll be enjoying all summer long - all completely devoid of the refined sugars typically lurking in mixed drinks.
[mint julep granita]
the perfect offering for that derby-themed party - and by serving it as a granita, you’re not only switching up this classic southern sipper, your guests will definitely appreciate the cool-down factor.
6 tbsp coconut sugar
1 ½ cups filtered water
1 cup fresh mint leaves, plus more for garnish
¼ cup bourbon
- bring coconut sugar + water to a boil in a small saucepan, stirring a couple minutes until coconut sugar is fully dissolved.
- remove from heat + add mint leaves to the pan + muddle a bit, then let sit to infuse for about an hour.
- strain into a small baking dish + mix in bourbon, then cover + freeze overnight.
- when you’re ready to serve, scrape it into fluffy ice with a fork, spoon into a short glass + garnish with mint.
[strawberry-basil skinny margarita]
three words: no. added. sugar. in fact, this tasty marg utilizes nothing but mother nature’s fruity nectar to sweeten the deal. cinco de mayo, anyone?? pair this skinny sipper with these street tacos for a fitlosophy-approved fiesta!
1 fresh hulled strawberry
2 basil leaves
juice of 1 lime
juice of ½ an orange
2 oz silver tequila
pink himalayan sea salt
- in our fitfuel mixer, muddle the strawberry + basil leaves, then add in the shaker ball + all other ingredients, along with some ice.
- shake shake shake + pour into glass rimmed with sea salt + filled with crushed ice. garnish with lime wedge.
[virgin blueberry + rosemary fizz]
not a big drinker? worry not - you don’t have to be the party pooper with this festive fizz in-hand! ultra-hydrating + filled with flavor, this one is perfect for those hot summer days at the pool when you want a fun bevy, but a cocktails just aren't your style.
2 springs fresh rosemary
what are your favorite tricks to slim down your summer cocktails? share in the comments!
- fill our fitfuser infuser tube with the blueberries + rosemary + insert in the fitfuser water bottle.
- fill with chilled sparkling water + enjoy!