for this year’s 2nd annual BLOG YOUR HEART OUT day i wanted to celebrate and share with you some yummy heart-healthy recipes to keep that ticker tockin’! however, you know that i can’t just jump into giving you the recipes before sharing WHY (please refrain from scrolling down and read my blurb). here’s the deal: women love fitbook – in fact almost 90% of our fitbookers are ladies. now – you may or may not know that heart disease is the #1 killer of women – it actually takes the lives of more women every year than the next 5 causes of death combined, including all forms of cancer. whoa – scary huh? so we at fitlosophy have decided to make a difference by using social media to rally bloggers around the world to drive women online to GO RED. our hearts are in this and after winning an award from the american heart association last year, we’re back and better than ever!
5 bloggers. 5 weeks. our mission: tell 5, save lives.
so i could rattle off all the scary stats about heart disease, but that’s frankly quite depressing. let’s focus on this: 80% of all cardiac events by women are PREVENTABLE by increasing exercise, eating healthier, and putting out those stinky ciggs! this is why we’re on board – because at fitlosophy, our goal is to help others live life fit – and if we can do that, well then we can help save lives. little effort, BIG IMPACT!
alas! here are the recipes for you – my treat, well kinda: 1 is from the american heart association’s recipe collection so i can’t take credit. but i am sharing MY morning oatmeal recipe which is heart-healthy and oh-so-yummy!
cherry pie oatmeal a la mode
this recipe touts 2 of the top 5 foods to lower your cholesterol and decrease your risk of heart disease: oats & walnuts!
- 1/2c oats
- 1/2c non-fat milk or almond milk
- 1/2c water
- 1/2c de-pitted fresh cherries
- a sprinkle of walnuts
- dash of stevia or honey (to taste)
- dollop of non-fat greek yogurt on top!
combine all ingredients in a bowl and microwave for 2m. wanna go a la mode and add a little extra protein? add a dollop of non-fat greek yogurt. seriously like cherry pie in a bowl – ENJOY!
chicken with red wine sauce (from AHA recipe collection)
perfect for a heart-healthy, lovey-dovey dinner for 2 for valentine’s day…or any day really – vino is good ANY day!
- 1 slice turkey bacon, chopped
- 6 small button mushrooms
- 6 pearl onions or shallots
- 1 medium garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 1/2 cup fat-free, low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 tbsp no-salt-added tomato pasted
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- dash of salt
- 1 medium bay leaf
- 8 oz. skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
- pepper to taste
- in a large skillet, cook the bacon over medium heat for 5m…add mushrooms, onion & garlic and cook for another 5m, stirring occasionally.
- meanwhile, in a small bowl mix together the wine, broth, tomato paste, oregano, thyme, salt and bay leaf. place the chicken in the skillet with the mushroom mixture and pour the wine mixture over the chicken.
- increase heat to high and bring to a boil. reduce heat to and simmer covered for 35-40m until chicken is tender – then transfer chicken to plates, reserve the liquid, and remove the bay leaf.
- put flour in small bowl and pour about 1/8c reserved cooking liquid, stirring until smooth.
- pour mixture into skillet, increase heat to medium and cook for 5-10m until thickened and bubbly, stirring constantly.
- season with pepper, return chicken to skillet, reduce heat to low and cook covered for 5m.
- serve with a side of veggies and glass of vino – enjoy!
want more heart-healthy recipes? get a copy of the new cookbook from the American Heart Association: No-Fad Diet - a Personal Plan for Healthy Weight Loss!
there you go 2 recipes…just for you! now, if you made it to the bottom of my post, which only my loyal readers do (due to my long-windedness…and yes that’s a word), you might just get a free fitbook. here’s the deal: (and i’m trusting you on this one) you MUST click the BYHO badge above or click here and TELL 5 other women about the risks of heart disease. (scout’s honor, here people!) then post a comment below and tell me 1) one thing you’re going to do each day for the next 5 days to be heart healthyand 2) the first names of the 5 women you signed up! i’ll pick my fave and send you a fitbook to help you reach those goals.
with all my HEART,