(pretty) PINK partnership: MyLifeLine + fitlosophy
i don’t like pink all that much. it could be partly because my mom dressed me in pink can-cans since i was just a wee little tike. or maybe it’s because i get annoyed when i go to get any golf gear because apparently since i’m a woman, it’s assumed that my game would be much improved if i sport a pink glove, swing pink clubs, and tote a matching bag to boot. another pinkdom that gets under my skin? in an attempt to buy any of my beloved denver broncos gear, each season I’m greeted with a bubble-gum pink junior-size v-neck tee in pink. last time i checked, our colors are proudly orange and blue, but i digress.
and yet, there’s one PINK that i embrace fully. for the third year running, fitlosophy is proud to release its limited-edition fitbook PINK as we have each october in honor of breast cancer awareness month. as an integral part of our fitgiving initiative, fitbook PINK gives back with $4 from the sale of each one going to breast cancer awareness and support services.
this year i wanted to take the opportunity to give fitbookers a peek inside where and why the proceeds go. a very dear friend of mine, marcia donziger, was only 27 years old when she was diagnosed with cancer. quite possibly the happiest and most positive person i know, marcia not only survived her bout with cancer, but went on to found MyLifeLine.org in 2007. through this non-profit, marcia and her team provide free, personal websites to cancer patients as a way to stay connected to loved ones and caregivers through the treatment process.
some of my favorite features of the site include: laughing medicine, which provides a joke of the day and lists of funny movies and books to make you chuckle; the helping calendar, which allows family members and caregivers to coordinate helping with treatment schedules and appointments; and the journaling section which is a private, password protected area of the site for the patient to simply journal thoughts through the treatment process.
with a large portion of their members being breast cancer patients, MyLifeLine has a direct impact on the day-to-day lives of women faced with this disease. in true “marcia style”, with a big smile, this little lady is leaving a BIG footprint on our world. this year, fitlosophy is proud to announce that ALL proceeds, $4 from the sale of each fitbook PINK, will be going to MyLifeLine.org!
along with marcia’s story and efforts to make a difference, supporting this cause is near and dear to my heart – it’s personal. from losing my dear friend’s mom to cancer, to my own grandmother battling and surviving, i know all too well the importance of educating women (and men too!) on prevention. here are a few stats on how living life fit and fitbook can make an impact on this very rampant disease:
* working out for 30 minutes per day can slash breast cancer risk by 50%. a rise in overall body fat is tied to an increase in circulating insulin and estrogen levels — both of which are linked to breast cancer risk.
* a recent study of 12,000 breast cancer patients found that regular exercise could reduce breast cancer recurrence by 24%, breast cancer deaths by 34%, and overall deaths by 41%.
* eating cruciferous veggies like cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, brussels sprouts, and kale are directly related to a significant reduction in breast cancer risk.
* increase intake of Omega-3s with fish like sardines & salmon to help prevent breast cancer. try ground up flax & sesame seeds (instead of whole) so your body can better absorb their powerful phytonutrient “lignans” which help prevent breast cancer.
most of you know why living life fit is important, hence why you’re reading this blog. do your part:
- share this blog post with someone you love who might need an extra nudge to get started taking their health seriously.
buy fitbook PINK for you or give it to a friend – let them know that it was for a good cause!
- support MyLifeLine.org with donations
- blog/tweet/RT and spread the word!
now you know where your money is going! it’s in good hands, going toward making a true difference in the lives of those affected by breast cancer. take action now for you + your loved ones to get moving, eat healthy, and live life fit! wanna do more? get fitbook PINK at www.getfitbook.com.